Did you know it is National Card & Letter Writing week? I didn’t even know something like this existed. When I heard it on the radio Monday, I immediately thought of the smile on my face every time I receive a card in the mail and the joy I feel when I take the time to pick out a card and mail it to a friend. While I send Christmas cards and Birthday cards every year my favorite cards to send and receive are for no reason. Cards that encourage and let you know a friend is thinking of you are a huge blessing.
While all the Christmas cards and holiday decorations promote smiles and happiness, we all know that burdens can hurt the worst at the holidays. Taking a moment to let another stepmom know you are thinking of her and will always be there to listen, love and understand is a priceless gift.
We all need encouragement and often a stepmom needs it most at the holidays.
Here are some ways to encourage a fellow stepmom at the holidays:
- Send her a card for no reason except to say I’m thinking of you.
- Offer to meet out for coffee. If she isn’t up for going out… take coffee to her.
- Send her a tweet, FB post, email letting her know how amazing you think she is.
- Pray for her. Pray for her family.
- Surprise her with girl time. If you live close by, take dinner to her. Invite her out for a movie. Go get a mani-pedi at the local beauty school (its cheaper), bake Christmas cookies with her.
- If she shares with you what is stressful, LISTEN to her and find positive ways to help her. Often when we are in the midst of our own struggle it can be hard to see that some simple changes can yield a big difference in how we feel. Listen and think with a compassionate heart and share when and where appropriate.
I’m going to take this moment to plug the cards at Dayspring and Incourage. Please know this is not a sponsored post. I am sharing because I truly believe in what they do and the products they offer. I’m sharing because the cards they sell have been an inspiration to me and hopefully to those who receive them. Here is a boxed site that I love by Max Lucado.
Challenge: I’m challenging you to send one card a week to a stepmom friend starting this week through the holidays to simply let them know you are thinking of them. It doesn’t have to be someone going through a hard time just a friend who you want to say hello to. Whether it is a card or letter or even an email, commit to sending words of encouragement and support to another this holiday season. You will be giving them and yourself a gift of encouragement!
Are you up for the challenge?
Please share other ways to encourage a fellow stepmom at the holidays.
Make sure to check out Gayla Grace’s blog StepparentingWithGrace too as we share tips and tools every Monday, Wednesday and Friday during the holiday season. Our book Unwrapping the Gift of Stepfamily Peace is a great tool to help you and all stepparents find peace during the holidays and beyond.
“The best part of life is not just surviving, but thriving with passion and compassion and humor and style and generosity and kindness.” – Maya Angelou